In chapter 5 the section I found interesting and relatable
was the section on the characteristics of nonverbal communication. I found the
part about nonverbal communication being immediate, continuous, and natural to
be very relatable to many interactions I have seen. “We can weigh our words,
carefully compose our verbal messages, and wait for the right time and place
before we speak. But we can’t delay most nonverbal messages” (105). This quote
from the book reminds of someone going to a dinner party and eating a meal which
the cook worked so hard. Unfortunately it was not to this persons likings. The first
bite they have, they cannot control their facial expression and shows an
emotion of disgust. No one sees this but the date. When the hostess asks how
the food is, she has had time to think about her response and replies it was
great. This nonverbal message of a face of disgust was what she really thought;
it came to her so natural and immediately after the first bite of the meal.
This example is only one of many which can be related to
nonverbal communication being immediate, continuous, and natural. This section
really struck me to a great example of what a nonverbal message really is. It
is such a natural thing and comes out in the worst of times. This usually
happens when someone wants an opinion on an important matter. We can easily
stop speaking or take time to give an appropriate response, but a first site of
an ugly pair of shoes, or horrible hair cut will bring out the natural response
of a nonverbal message.
Dear Water Polo Man,
ReplyDeleteI found this post on the concept of nonverbal characteristics to be very helpful and I could easily relate to your examples. Facial expressions, body language or positioning are all forms of nonverbal communication and tend to be the ones we subconsciously make. From a young age we are taught to think before we speak. But it is different to think about a physical reaction that hasn't been triggered. Most of these occurrences happen when we least expect them which can be detrimental given the current situation. We can sugar coat words and dance around the meaning but it is much harder to hide a genuine facial expression or uncontrolled body reaction.
I have been caught many times tasting food I don't like, and regardless of the careful words I use the expression on my faces clearly states I didn't enjoy the bite. It's hard to control these nonverbal characteristics but I kind of like the genuine message they send even if it isn't a good one. Not all nonverbal communication must be bad. A lot of the time it's good, very good in fact. We feed off each others nonverbal communication just as much as we do when communicating with words. Holding hands, kissing, cuddling, a pat on the back are all good forms of nonverbal communication. I too will remember that nonverbal communication can be immediate, continuous and natural.
Great job!