Thursday, June 14, 2012

The good and the bad speakers

In all honesty, I cannot say I have seen very many speakers. I never find myself in the position where I am sitting down and listening to someone talk. I have seen it on movies many times, but to actually experience it in person, not so much. However, I took a public speaking class so I will be talking about those speeches. After all, in class you get a broad range of public speaking abilities. As this class was a year ago, I do not remember the speeches in detail, but I do remember the way they were presented and  how I reacted to certain speeches. One of the better ones I recall was by this girl, and she started off so nervous and we could all tell. Her speech was real emotional so during the middle she broke down and started crying, I looked around and the whole class had tears streaming down their cheeks. I found this to be very real. I liked how her speech was not practiced and rehearsed so much where she would not find the emotion. I liked how she connected to what she was saying and made all of us feel the way she felt. I really enjoyed how she acted like a person and not a robot up their speaking because she had to. This girl showed her vulnerable side and I know we as a class will always remember that speech because it touched all of us. J


There were also some not so great speakers in the class. They let their nerves get the best of them. They were not prepared, they did not try to connect with us on a personal level. They stood perfectly still with some slight swaying back and forth. These kind of speakers just make it painful to listen to. I was not able to connect to what they were saying because they did not even know what they were saying. It was like listening to words being thrown at us with not reason behind it. Those types of speeches make it really hard to listen to and get anything from. L

2 comments:

  1. Hello :)
    I also took a public speaking class and some of the speeches I heard were awesome, others not so much. I get that most people are nervous speaking in front of a group of strangers, so I usually try and really focus so I can find at least some interest in a not so great speech but sometimes it is impossible. I especially love the speeches that have a personal effect on the speaker. Some audiences dislike the fact that the speaker starts to cry but I personally love it. I feel that it really shows that the person put effort into their speech. The speaker may not have written out a long speech with cue cards and such, but rather spoke extemporaneously which gets people to listen, because let’s face it; no one likes speeches that are read from cards. Just the fact that she impacted the audience and others began to cry, shows me that her speech was one worth listening to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    I agree with you 100 percent. I really enjoy speakers who are very passionate and shows some kind of emotion to what they are speaking about. Just like you, I do not like listening to those "robot" speakers who shows little to no emotion or passion at all to what they are speaking about. I recommend you listen to Ray Lewis' motivational speech on YouTube that he gave to the Miami hurricanes. I promise you if you listen to it, it will motivate you to want to do better. That speech is very powerful and you can tell that Ray is serious and passionate about the message he was trying to give

    ReplyDelete