Thursday, June 28, 2012

My culture, your culture, everyone's culture


I would say I half believe in Ruth Benedict when he says, “we are creatures of our culture, and that our habits, beliefs, and impossibilities are shaped by our culture”.

 I believe at one point in our lives we were shaped by our culture. Our habits and beliefs are similar to everyone else’s. I think for most of us this describes as when we were all little. We did not have minds of our own. We followed the examples of other, did what our parents told us to do, and our beliefs were the same as our parents. It is not until we get older where we find our own voice and become our own person where we are no longer controlled by our culture. As we get older we find a respect for where we came from and where our beliefs and habits originated, but it does not hold us back from changing into a different person. I was born and raised in Puerto Rico, the culture back there is very different. When I came here I knew things would be different so I came here with an opened mind. I am old enough to know where I came from and the person I am today is shaped by my culture back home and the culture out here. I am not the same person as I was when I left home 3 years ago. If I would have let my Puerto Rico culture shape who I am out here, I would not be doing a lot of things I am. I love my culture, but I can respect others as well. I feel we are not raised and shaped by one culture, I feel we are shaped by our culture around us as kids and new ones we find along the way as we grow into adults.  

2 comments:

  1. I agree exactly with what you are saying. I wrote something similar on my blog. I think that when we are raised we have no other choice but to shaped by our culture but as we get older we have the option to choose whether or not we want to identify with that culture. I also like the fact that you said that you love your culture but you can respect others. I think that there are a lot of close minded people that only believe in their own culture but have no respect for others. I think it’s great when people identify with their own cultures but are also able to embrace others. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with what you wrote on your post. Growing up we are shaped by the culture that we are brought up in. And i believe that when we are old enough to chose what cultures we are a part of, we are still being influenced by the cultures weather we choose to fallow them or not. People are always growing and changing and becoming different parts of other cultures and sub cultures. My parents were a part of the 60s hippie movement and although I was not a part of that movement I am influenced by that culture. I am not a part of that culture, but there are aspects of it that i have implemented in to my life, like the music and art for example! Great post it was enjoyable to read,
      -LARS

      Delete