I have only taken one communications class before this one and it was public speaking. Needless to say, I learned so much in this class!
One of the topics I am very happy to have learned about what on managing interpersonal conflicts. That whole section allowed me to reflect on previous fights with my girlfriend and analyze what had happened and how we acted. I learned we always have the same routine in our fights, at least we are consistent though. It helped both of us learn how we should be acting in certain situations rather than the way we actually act. It has definitely helped us and since we have not had a fight since then (knock on wood) I feel as if i am better prepared to handle future problems.
I also learned the different types of group discussion formats and how to notice one when I see one. In an episode of The Big Bang Theory, the group participated in a panel discussion. Although it did not go according to plan with the topics they had in mind, they still discussed back and forth while the audience just sat there and witnessed the most non science science panel discussion.
I thoroughly enjoyed this class and the many different posts we had to make. It was a lot more informing and helpful to retain the information in the book. I hope everyone else had a great summer session!
The first time I took a communication class, it was argumentation and advocacy, but a huge portion of the class was about how to deal with conflict in several different areas. One week it was about conflict and resolution in the work place, next in social settings, family settings, and then with significant others. I learned so much then! When taking that class, all I could do when my boyfriend and I would get into a fight is "you are doing this fallacy and I don't appreciate you bring non-relevant information into this discussion." It was funny now, but back then it was "oh my, I'm actually learning something." I'm glad you could take something you learned in class, and apply it personal situations. It makes life a whole lot easier. Have a great rest of the summer!
ReplyDelete